Wednesday, February 08, 2006

if i were a vegetable


beets

Those of you who know me well, know these things about me:

1)I love color. I've been blessed to find a career where i am surrounded by it every day.
2)I love cooking. I like whole foods and healthy foods. I like junk food just as much.
3)And at times i show it more than others, but I love God - my Father and my Creator - in all His majesty and wonder.

this weekend i made a discovery. Beets!
Beets have changed my life...well, enriched it maybe. i knew that they are red and some people don't like them very much, but i recently had them on a salad and they tasted pretty good, so i decided to buy them at the grocery store and try them out for myself.

i peeled and cut the first one in the bunch and i was overwhelmed with the rich red color that bled out of this vegetable and stained my fingers. there was so much chroma in the tiny little root (of all things). like cimson ink and it almost made me cry.

now i know that sounds weird, BUT...i stand firm to the 3 points i mentioned earlier-color, food, and God. i cant imagine (especially as an artist) a world without color. there's even color in dirt and as i continued to cut up the rest of the beets, i thought of the nutrience they provide and the taste they contained, and the Artist who created them. by human nature, i am always looking for more ways to prove that God exists (as if i need more reasons).

if you are in doubt of God and His presence here on earth, do yourself a favor...

buy some beets!

4 Comments:

Blogger the ginger bungalo said...

i too love the shade of a good beet! but watch out, they turn EVERYTHING that beautiful shade when over consumed ;)
enjoyed the blog...

8.2.06  
Blogger m. said...

yeah...to my surprise - i figured that out :)

9.2.06  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Speaking of color. . .and crying. . .did you go to the Bluemner exhibition? Please tell me yes. . . or I will cry again. . .

ps. beats are the most beautiful, ever.

pss. ever, ever.


Psss. EVER.

9.2.06  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yummy! I love to eat beets!

9.2.06  

Post a Comment

<< Home