Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Shitty Promises


promise of what?

Please explain what this wrapper is "promising" me.

...........................................................................................................................

"We crave things we neither need nor enjoy. 'We buy things we do not want to impress people we do not like'. Where planned obsolescence leaves off, psychological obsolescence takes over. We are made to feel ashamed to wear clothes or drive cars until they are worn out. The mass media have convinced us that to be out of step with fashion is to be out of step with reality. It is time to awaken to the fact that conformity to a sick society is to be sick. Until we see how unbalanced our culture has become at this point, we will not be able to deal with the mammon spirit within ourselves nor will we desire Christian simplicity
This psychosis permeated even our mythology. The modern hero is the poor boy who purposefully becomes rich rather than the rich boy who voluntarily becomes poor. Covetousness we call ambition. Hoarding we call prudence. Greed we call industry."

-Celebration of Discipline
...................................................................................................................................

I was told today that I'm not in Ohio anymore. That I'm in the minority in this city (as far as my faith in Christ is concerned). I actually found that statement funny. I don't know why exactly, but I guess it's because I had just read the above paragraphs a few days earlier. If what we are experiencing ... Racism, sexual promiscuity, materialism, poverty...If that is part of "the norm"by default, then why would I want to be that? There's no lasting hope in any of these things. No love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control exist within these normal issues. I struggle with sin like everyone, but I will chose to be in the "minority", relying on a pure truth before I submit to a life-style and world that produces such blind advice as "do what feels right".

It's not everyday that you get a "fortune" so bad that-
1.) you feel compelled to blog about it.
2.) it reveals how broken the world is...right down to the message you find in a candy wrapper.
2) it solidifies your hope in Christ alone!

God must like chocolate too!

7 Comments:

Blogger Charity said...

Jeremiah 17:9 says,"The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately sick; who can understand it?" All the "follow your heart" crap and "you gotta do what's best for YOU" stuff just makes me think of this verse. Why would I follow my heart when it's so deceitful? Why is that the standard for living? Aren't muderers following their hearts? Does that make it right? Child molesters? Come on. John Calvin said the "Human hearts are little idol factories".

6.10.05  
Blogger Nichole said...

thanks for the reminder Molly...
your paragraph reminds me of how you said it was a constant "contest" to look good here and I am starting to feel very disappointed in my clothes ,even though some of them are very new....it's so easy to get led away and caught up in that.

P.S. I dont really like DOve chocolate. I'll take Hershey's any day!

6.10.05  
Blogger Greg said...

Hey, you may want to pass along this little bit of reality to those you speak to in NYC: Even in Ohio true faith in Christ is rare.

6.10.05  
Blogger Charity said...

We need a new post:)

13.10.05  
Blogger m. said...

ask your funky hubby...how to post mp3s???

I wish i was going to an Oktoberfest party next weekend :(

13.10.05  
Blogger m. said...

ps - thank you for all 3 of your posts...you are an encouragement to me!

13.10.05  
Blogger Nichole said...

Molly, did you get my letter?
I wrote you another one at work this week. It is lengthy as well.
Hope you dont mind. I'll send it this weekend.
Whyarent we in NYC yet!?

14.10.05  

Post a Comment

<< Home